Zucchini stuffed with meat, vegetables, and cheese is a delectable dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner. Not only is it delicious, but it is also healthy and nutritious. This dish can be served as a main course, side dish or appetizer. Zucchini boats, as it's commonly called, is a versatile dish that can be made with different types of meats, vegetables, and cheese, depending on your taste preference.
- 4 medium-sized zucchini
- 1 lb of ground beef or chicken
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced mushroom
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- - 1 tsp of dried oregano
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh with a spoon, leaving about 1/4 inch of flesh attached to the skin.
- Place the zucchini boats on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until the zucchini boats are tender.
- In a pan, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the ground beef or chicken to the pan with the vegetables and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and beef or chicken broth. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well and let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Fill the baked zucchini boats with the meat and vegetable mixture. Top each zucchini boat with shredded mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the zucchini boats back in the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy the tasty and healthy zucchini boats.
Loaded zucchini boats are a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your daily diet. The combination of meat, vegetables, and cheese makes this dish nutritious, filling, and flavorful. This recipe is easy to make, and you can simplify it by using pre-cooked ground beef or chicken. You can also substitute the meat with your favorite vegetarian protein such as tofu, lentils or chickpeas. Regardless of how you choose to make it, zucchini stuffed with meat, vegetables, and cheese is a dish that will surely satisfy your taste buds while being light and healthy at the same time.